I have a tax question. If a person works for a public library, where they do not withhold federal income tax,?

but they withhold a similar amount in a special retirement plan, does that amount have to be reported on the Federal tax form in the year it was withheld, or only when a distribution is made? If it does have to be reported in the year withheld, in what section of the tax form is it reported? Thanks!

The retirement money might get you a savers credit depending on your income. I worked for a public library and they withheld taxes. You must have filed exempt.